Eating healthy is key to longevity. Especially when you live within a dense population surrounded by poor quality air and land.
A healthy diet incorporating a variety of super-foods will help you maintain your weight, fight disease, and live longer .
Today, we will incorporate a few of these super-foods into an amazing recipe. Eggplant is known as a fruit having a unique range of health benefits, including an ability to help build strong bones and prevent osteoporosis, reduce the symptoms of anemia, and increase cognition. It improves cardiovascular health and also protects the digestive system. Eggplant is also good for weight loss, managing diabetes and reducing stress. ALWAYS WASH YOUR VEGETABLES!
Eggplants are a rich source of vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, thiamine, niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, dietary fiber, folic acid, potassium, and manganese. They also contain almost no cholesterol or saturated fat.
Extraordinary antioxidant and anti-aging prowess, packed with protein, soluble (and insoluble) fiber, folate (vitamin B9), magnesium, potassium and a number of other health promoting nutrients, red kidney beans are a true super-food.
So lets start to limit the damage caused by free radicals and get cooking this Yummy meal!
1 medium size eggplant, unpeeled, cut into ½” cubes
1 gram Kief
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
1/2 cup olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, diced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded, diced
1 can (28 oz) Italian plum tomatoes
1 1/2 lb fresh ripe Italian plum tomatoes, diced
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 can (15 oz) dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Toppings for the chili (cheese, sour cream, corn chips, green onions…whatever you like)
- Place eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with coarse salt. Let stand for 30-60 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven (or pot) over medium heat. Add eggplant and sauté until almost tender. Remove eggplant to a bowl or plate.
- Add onions, garlic, and green peppers to dutch oven/pot and sauté just until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium-low. Add kief to pot and stir occasionally to avoid burning and allow THC extraction. Add the cooked eggplant back to the pot as well as the canned tomatoes with liquid, fresh tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, basil, pepper, salt, fennel, and parsley. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently for 30 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans, chickpeas, dill and lemon juice and cook for another 15 minutes. The eggplant peel should be tender.
- Top with your favorite toppings!
Eat Healthy, Stay Balanced!